-

29 August 2011

Little Lumberjack Party Sneak!

Since this isn't a popular theme, finding party supplies has been a challenge, a good challenge! I like that I have no choice but to make what I need! For example, a pinata. I searched everything I could think of to find a pinata to go with this theme, only thing I found were palm tree's and owls, I was afraid the owls would push it a little too much onto the "woodland" theme, not that I don't love that theme (and hope our little girl will let me do one!) but for this it just wasn't what I was looking for.

So I started thinking of how I can build one, I know the whole balloon method but I was going for a specific shape, a LOG! Here is what I have done so far

started with an empty oatmeal container
Cut a few slices in it that go about half way around, hoping that will make sure it breaks a little easier!
Then I did 1 layer of tissue paper to cover as much of the bright colors as I could. Our store didn't have any streamers, so I just used white tissue paper cut into the right length. I used some white glue and a little water with a sponge brush. 
Once there was a base layer  I started crinkling up some strips and attaching them, but not making them smooth, I wanted them to resemble bark, so lots of ridges and not too straight!


And I added a little branch off the side.

I let it dry overnight, it was still pretty soft, not too crunchy, but I don't want it to be too hard for the kids so it's perfect!

Then I started painting it! And I realize now, I should have painted the strips ahead of time, it would have been easier, probably taken longer, but still easier! I'm just using some acrylic paint.
Now I am just waiting for it to dry. Then I will add some details, but you will have to wait to see that! And I have a zip tie style hanger waiting to be attached also!

On the ends I am painting them a lighter color and just using a marker for some woodgrain, well that is the plan anyway! And since one end just snaps on, I don't have to worry about how I am getting the goods in it!

I think I will have 1 more sneak peak tonight, that I am way excited about.. as long as nap time works out for me!

4 comments:

  1. WOW, that is turning out so cute. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that is fantastic! The funniest thing was just YESTERDAY I found this tutorial for concrete forms to make logs and was going to send tonight after I scanned it in! ...love yours more! Can't wait for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love everything you are coming up with! I can't wait to see all the pictures from the party to see how it all turns out together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the rest of this party! Most of my family are alumus from a college where the lumberjack is the mascot! What a great idea! Thanks so much for linking it up to the Tuesday To Do Party! Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete