-

17 November 2010

Thanksgiving #17, White Salad Recipe

First I will say, I have NO idea why this is called salad!
My Great Grandma used to make this recipe, I made it for the first time a few weeks ago, to make sure I didn't really mess it up. I am bringing it to the family Thanksgiving get together. That's the only time we ever had it was the holidays. Kinda nervous, but the first attempt went better than I expected!

Ingredients
4 small boxes of lemon Jello
4 cups Boiling water
1 20oz can crushed pineapple and juice
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 8oz package of cream cheese at room temp.
3/4 C of milk
1 C chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1 8 oz container of cool whip, thawed
2 oz pimentos (which I would, and do leave out, eww)

You need a big dish, I used a 9x13 Glass baking dish and it was almost too small, you could use 2 of those or 1 and a smaller one also.

Leave the cream cheese out so it can come to room temp, and I put the cool whip and pineapple in the fridge the night before.



~Boil 4 Cups of water
~empty the 4 Jello packages into a big bowl (Pyrex or another that won't shatter from hot and cold temps)
stir until the jello is dissolved.
~Add the can of pineapple and juice
~Add lemon zest and lemon juice

~Put jello mix in the fridge until it cools but not set, you want it to stay liquid at this point
~While it is cooling, combine your room temperature cream cheese and 3/4C milk until smooth (mine took about 2 minutes in mixer at med-high speed)


~Add cream cheese mix to jello, mix well and then pour into your dish


~Refrigerate for about 30 minutes
~While it is chilling combine your pecans, pimento's (if you use them) and cool whip
~Gently fold the cool whip mixture into the jello cream cheese mixture and let refrigerate an hour



That's it! It's not terribly difficult just time between each step!









1 comment:

  1. This looks so tasty (minus the pimentos.. ewww!)! I can't wait to try it. My family would love this!

    ReplyDelete