-

01 October 2013

We made it through September!

I don't know how we did it though. I barely remember 2 days of September!
Hubby started a new job on the first day of school, that led us to some kid care scrambling.
Thankful for the amazing grandparents our kids have, we really could not do it without them!
And this is how life went for our budget, home stuff and all that. 

~Budget~


One more credit card paid off!
It really feels like this goal is achievable for the first time in a long time!
 It probably sounds like we had 300 credit cards. We did have too many, some were just little things, like Old Navy, that I got suckered into for the perks of the extra 20% off, and I realize now that if you don't pay them off right away they are going to make that 20% back in interested plus some. I was young and silly. I still keep the card for the perks but if I can't pay it off that day I don't use it.
We still have a couple cards left to pay off. Our biggest one we used for some school semesters before we got student loans, and Home Depot. Hello new washer.
 After that it will just be loans. Car and student loans. I don't feel nearly as troubled by those as I do credit cards.
 Slow and steady, and not quite Dave Ramsey snowball method. We didn't stick with the smallest first because one has a way higher interest rate and we could take care of it this month so we took a little detour from our original plan. But are jumping right back on to the smallest goes first!

With both of us getting paid just once a month, and around the same time. Budgeting is even more important, because if I make a mistake it's not a 1 week wait for relief, it's a month!

Grocery shopping with cash, and a list after making a meal plan for the entire month, with 2 optional easy swaps is new, and tricky. I've done the grocery shopping but I know we will need produce and milk before payday. Judging what that will cost and how much we will need is going to be the new unknown for us. I have about $50 left for the month after grocery shopping last weekend, hoping that is enough because I only have a cash grocery budget.

Speaking of groceries....
I have a new appreciation for the Orowheat outlet.
If you have one in your area, check it out! Ours isn't close at all, but we were on that part of town so I went in, expecting to not get much.  I was extremely surprised I was able to score Dave's Killer bread for $2.99 a loaf, and sometimes it's $1.00 a loaf! I doubt I will buy bread at the grocery store again. I can go there and stock our freezer with bread for a third of the price.

There are still a ton of DIY things I want to try but they haven't been on the priority list..
Make your own Mozzarella.. Who's done it? Worth it? Harder than it seems?
DIY cream of chicken soup. I need the no MSG and non sodium overload version! Who has one to share?

~Home~
~ Halloween decorations are almost up completely! I'll share soon!
~I move furniture when I am stressed about something.. the living room looks just a wee bit different. I guess that is better than stress eating, right?
I moved our couch closer to the fireplace, it makes our living room smaller, but still plenty big, and I actually think it makes the whole area seem bigger.
~Still purging a little every week. I read this post and I love her thinking. I don't know if we can do it that drastic but I can totally see her point and some days I am ready for that leap more than others.
~Finally got some curtains up in our dining area, so much brighter! Thanks IKEA

~I made a huge huge list of about 100 things we need to do around here, most of them don't take long, so I am trying to get 1 or 2 done a day. Slowly but surely this place will be all perfect, and that will be about the time I have Hubby convinced we should sell. I will share some more on that soon!

~On the hunt for a thrifted end table/side table/night stand something for our bedroom. We used to have a big table/desk on the side and it's been moved to the office. So I need a nightstand.

~Self~
 ~ I don't know why but I have been having the HARDEST time remembering to take my vitamins. I think it has been draining my energy big time.
~I just started my new shift at work and haven't figured out when my gym time will be in all of our schedules.
~Learned some hard lessons, like when people can use something you do or say to their advantage, there is a good chance they will. Sometimes just letting them and the whole situation go is better for you anyway, even if it's not easy.

~Family~
Kids are midway through flag football season and are enjoying it, we are having a great time watching them too, even in the rain and mud!

Our girly was student of the month, again. This is great for her but it's hard to see our oldest be upset/confused when I know he tries a whole lot harder than she does.

We have some big special dates with these kids in October! Legofest and Disney on Ice.

Halloween costumes done, none are homemade and I am trying not to be too disappointed. Knowing that I could have made the time to do it but something else would have had to give. Right now I am not sure there is anything we would be willing to give up for a homemade costume. Work is taking a lot of time right now, it's our busy season and I know this job is really helping us get where we want to be and all it takes is time. It's not forever but for right now I have to trade some time to meet our goals.

Our kids have been amazing at understand the changes we have been making and how it's what's right for all of us even if it's hard sometimes.  I think they are missing pizza night on Friday's but overall they have been pretty good helpers! Teaching them how to read labels at the grocery store and decide what's a better price. Saving vs. spending their allowance. Just little things I can tell the older 2 are understanding and hopefully they will remember when they are in charge of finances larger than their little allowance.


October is my favorite month. I hope we have lots of pumpkin patch (with a Groupon) trips and some super organizing to share along with Fall Cleaning. Since I really didn't do Spring Cleaning this year, it is ON for Fall!

I also want to share my mini organizer soon! It's one of my best friends right now. I haven't been using my Home Management Binder everyday like I did while I was at home all the time. But I have a handy little planner that is making my daily insanity a wee bit better!



 


2 comments:

  1. 2.99 bread!!! I'm all over that- is there one in Salem? PS I love reading your blog. You have such an open heart and mind to share what we all struggle with daily. I made it to the gym for the first time in months yesterday! Here's to reaching for our goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been way too long since I browsed your blog! I am loving what I'm finding here. I had no idea there were Orowheat outlets. Orowheat & Dave's are the only breads we buy. I try to stock up when they're on sale, but I've never seen them that cheap! Sweet!!

    ReplyDelete