-

31 December 2012

2013~Finances

How many of us hate talking about, or even thinking about finances?!
It's not a FUN thing for sure. And for a lot of us it's stressful! 
We are always trying to do our best and make the best choices financially 
but also give our kids fun experiences without spoiling them. Sometimes that is hard to juggle.


Our goals for this year 

Finances
~GIVE UP COFFEE! (well paying for it anyway)
~Keep chugging along on Dave Ramsey's Snowball Plan
~Look for a part time, temporary job that fits our schedule
~Keep up with meal planning (avoiding buying things we don't need, or are not on sale)
~STOP going to Target as often, cause I have NO willpower there!
~SEW more clothes!
~Love our library even more


Plan
~Giving up coffee has been a multi year struggle for me. Starbucks just makes it SO easy! I have been getting decaf when I have been getting it hoping I can cut ties easier. But I won't be giving it up entirely. If I have to go into town for grocery shopping I think 2 a month will be fine. But no more trips INTO town for coffee. I also started using my coffee maker instead.

~We have slowly been using Dave Ramsey's Financial Freedom plan and it feels like we will be on step 2 forever some days. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! 
We haven't been good with the envelope system, going to re instate that this year, like now.

~ I am looking for a super part time job. One close to home for a few hours after hubby gets home and maybe a little weekends. Wish me luck!

~Meal planning is usually easy enough for me. I do 2 weeks worth after checking the ads and our stock. I don't want to spend more than we need to or do more work than I need to. And living out of town makes forgetting something or changing the meal plan expensive by either having to drive into town or paying way too much at our local market.

~Oh Target we have an unhealthy relationship! Not only is it kinda far away, there really are few times we actually NEED something from there. So just planning on avoiding unless we absolutely need to go and taking all the kids with me, that makes me want to rush a bit more and shop less!

 ~I have a sewing machine and all kinds of patterns just lacking confidence. I have to get over that. My plan is to make a dress or pants (for either my mini or I) when hubby is out of town. I have all kinds of free nights and NO reason not to, especially since I already have a bunch of fabric too!

~Library love.. well I started these goals BEFORE Christmas and my birthday, but hubby and the kids got me a nook, so while I probably won't be visiting the library as much, I will sure download all the free books I can. This will save us some money. I usually read a book or 2 a week, that can add up!






4 comments:

  1. All sounds like very manageable goals for 2013. I like the word 'goals' better than 'resolutions' because a goal is something to strive for to make your life better vs. I feel a resolution is something you have to correct because you've been doing it all wrong. :) I'm working on my 'goals' as well on my blog. Good luck! I know you and your adorable family can do it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too have been trying to cut back on coffee spending. I give each of us a little walking around money for the week, and we pretty much just use that.
    I checked out the Dave Ramsey book at the library around Thanksgiving, and was trying to get into it, but with the holiday's all the plans went out the window. My plan is that I will get us back on board the middle of this month. I find the envelopes hard to do as well. I guess because I never have cash, and have to find an ATM or wait until I go to the store and withdraw some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can check out ebooks through the library too. There might be a waiting list on some of the newer or more popular titles, but it's definitely an option! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love/hate relationship with Target as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete